Saturday 20 February 2016

#CountryKids A Ramble at School Knott, Ings

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

On Thursday my mum persuaded us to go on a hike with Kendal Ramblers from Ings. We wrapped up warm and set off in a snow storm to the meeting point. Luckily by the time we got there the snow had stopped so it was just very cold as we headed up the gated lane:


Due to the cold my daughter found icicles hanging under the bridge:


Her brother was having fun smashing puddle ice to find ones that had interesting patterns. This one gave him a huge smile:


My children enjoyed helping the walk leader find the route and get us round. They also kept nipping back to check on the back markers as it was a large group of 34 people:



On the walk there were plenty of traditional Cumbrian stone stiles to negotiate:


It was a beautiful route with lots of little woodlands and becks to admire:


During the coffee break whilst my daughter was happy chatting to adults my son decided it was time to practice for his fell racing on a convenient slope:


Once the adults had been revived it was time to carry on with the walk. As the pace was pretty slow my son had plenty of time to find places to hide whilst everyone past. Then he would shoot ahead and do it all again! 


He did slow down when he found something he wanted to share with me. In this case a "shepherd's crook" in the ice:


As we carried on along the Dales Way we could see the snow capped fells on the far side of Windermere:


At this point my daughter took over the camera and amongst other things she snapped were these friendly locals:


The children's bribe for doing the walk was lunch at the newly refurbished Watermill Inn at Ings which was flooded during Storm Desmond. They enjoyed something off the children's menu whilst I had a delicious light bite black pudding with mash:


Outside the pub I noticed that the Minions had taken over the brewery part of the pub:


All in all a great little walk and we look forward to the junior rambles starting up again this summer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message