Friday 15 August 2014

#CountryKids in Hawkshead and Wray Castle

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

It's only just a week since we went to Wray Castle but having a family friend needing entertaining today we headed back over to the far side of Windermere via the car ferry:


First of all we drove to Hawkshead and had a hot drink and a cake in a cafe before heading into the village for a wander. I spotted the Beatrix Potter gallery so we all dug out the National Trust cards and popped in:


Inside the former offices of her husband William Heelis are rooms displaying her art work and information on her life. My son was intrigued by the Potter siblings nature collection and I slowed him down a little with the children's quiz. It was fascinating to find out more about how she came to love the Lake District and her interest in wildlife which led to her famous creations.

We then headed towards Wray Castle (the signpost was obscured coming from Hawkshead so I had to turn around!) and we had a picnic whilst enjoying the view:



My son was keen to head into play table tennis so he dragged me into the castle. After a closely matched contest I persuaded him to try some of the other child friendly activities in the castle. These included a fishing game:


Skittles:


National Trust Top Trumps! I love the fact these had cups of tea served and hauntings as 2 categories:


Sword fighting:


Eventually he persuaded me to borrow the snooker equipment for a game in the billiards room. As it was a full size table he needed gramps to help him out with the rest:


Neither of us was amazing and after an hour with only 10 reds potted we quit! Instead we headed down to the lake and on the way discovered Frisbee Golf:





It was such a fun idea that kept my son really engaged and it was fun to watch too! I wonder what they will have for us next time we visit..

7 comments:

  1. Totally missed this when we were in the lakes! Oh well, there's always next time!


    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby is dying to go here! The big kid LOL


    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love it there but have only done the little kids rides and mini land. Love Atlantis too - lots of great tips #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really interesting place to visit. That Brownie's outfit took me back too. I was gutted to join when the bobble hat had just been launched, I wanted a beret! #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coombe Mill (Fiona)16 August 2014 at 22:24

    Another stunning NT property. I love the idea of looking through the Museum of Childhood and being reminded of some favourites from your childhood. The trails are also a good idea to keep the children engaged whilst exploring the house too. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coombe Mill (Fiona)16 August 2014 at 22:29

    A fun filled day of adrenaline rides. I particularly like the sound of the submarine and domes and your top tips list is really helpful. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a serious quarrel with my husband due to my parent because my parent never liked him to be my husband, but i love him so much that i will rather die to let him go off me, that was how i met this great man of voodoo online, he told me that everything will be fine that he can do a spell that will make my parent love him and allow me to marry him without any quarrel thoroughly it came to pass my mum and dad love him most than before we are now happy married family,please help me in thanking him for his help, here is the email esangopriest@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message