Tuesday 1 February 2011

Should I worry?

I have never been one to imagine that there are paedophiles hiding behind every corner just waiting to pounce on my children. The street we are now living in is a quiet cul de sac and in the summer most of us are happy for our children to play outside with only light supervision. It is a very relaxing place to be.


However, yesterday one of my neighbours had a quiet word with me as we took our children into nursery. Apparently another neighbour had observed a man from the estate over the railway line observing our road with binoculars. He had also been seen digging holes on the railway embankment. They have reported him to the police who have apparently "had words" with him.


Today when I drove home I could see the police round at his house talking to him again. So is he just a local eccentric and doing something harmless if weird? Or should I be concerned and make sure my kids don't go wandering around without me being close to their side? It's shaken up my sense of calm and relaxation so I just hope it is nothing to worry about.

1 comment:

  1. Most eccentric, even schizophrenic, people are harmless to other and pose a much greater risk to themselves. Your neighbor sounds like he's not playing with a full deck. I'd say keeping your kids within earshot, given their ages, is probably enough, along with clear instructions not to enter anyone's house or car without first asking you. I think the fear we have of strangers might be even more detrimental in the long run than the supposed threat they pose. Fear has undermined any sense of community in far too many urban neighborhoods and leaves us even more vulnerable because we don't know our neighbors at all in such places.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message