Thursday 9 September 2010

Westmorland County Show

I had my first experience of this today alongside my 3 year old son and partly accompanied by my aunt. Took me back to being a small child going to the Wigton show in Dumfries and Galloway with my grandparents.




The show is a really traditional agricultural show with the emphasis firmly on the animals winning their categories and the majority of the commercial stalls there for the farming and rural community. There was very limited non agricultural entertainment which meant less calls on my purse from the small person.




He took great pleasure in seeing and touching the animals, as well as commenting loudly when they peed or pooed in the arena. The traditional Westmorland wrestling kept him fascinated for quite a while. Many of the contestants were in traditional costume:



Unfortunately small person got bored before the men had their bouts in the arena...

This was a good chance to see just how many interesting breeds of sheep, cows, chickens and pigs there are in this country.



Another highlight was a trip on the Lancaster Canal Trust's narrow boat on the limited canal that is left navigable of the Lancaster Canal:



All in all a fab day out (helped by lovely weather) and I'm just sorry that with my son starting school next year we won't be going in 2011...





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message